pop culture, pittsburgh, and potpouri

Monday, June 16, 2008

Don't Believe the Hype! M.I.A is Not Retiring...


I am going to try to post more often since I have moved to studying full time for the Bar Exam. So things should be more active than the last two weeks around here. The New York Times and Pitchfork are reporting that this weeks Bonaroo Festival was the last performance ever for M.I.A. She announced that it would be her last show three times during the performance, and !!! (who performed before her) also said that it was her last show. Perez Hilton has jumped in and is also reporting the possible retirement. I think there is nothing to this story. If you read the Pitchfork story she basically says that she is sick of touring, is exhausted, and needs to reconnect to her creative gas pump i.e. clubs and the streets. She also admitted to writing new songs and material. I am sure this is her last performance FOR NOW, but when she has a new album she will tour again. Always chasing the story right? Its pretty obvious that she is not retiring rather only canceling the rest of her tour. If this was her last live performance that would really sucks! I will never forgive myself for living in Pittsburgh, a city that couldn't get a decent live show if the Roseland Ballroom was transported here. Here is some video of M.I.A's "last show" performing "Jimmy" with a bunch of dirty ungrateful trust funds hippies:


No comments: