pop culture, pittsburgh, and potpouri

Thursday, December 18, 2008

I LIKE BLOC PARTY


So Silent Alarm was without a doubt one of the best albums of the 21st century. It was the soundtrack to many peoples "hip" life, and broke new ground in music. I remember hearing the album around the same time MIA Arular came out. I thought to myself that these are two musical artists recreating what is capable with sound. I hadn't been excited about music like I was in 2004/2005 in a long time. Ad the Knife- Heartbeats to that and I was on cloud nine.

Then Bloc Parties second album came out. I liked it, but in all seriousness it was a bit of a let down. The band was going in a different direction, and strayed from that raw dance punk euphoria. Well, Intimacy, the new album is awesome and very much a reminder of what Bloc Party is capable of. Some of the songs on this album are not only incredible songs, but may be the best work Bloc Party has ever written (Ion Square, Better Than heaven, Your Visits Are Getting Shorter). It is almost like Bloc Party is saying "yeah we can writes songs like songs on Silent Alarm, but that doesn't mean we are going to." Luckily they do, and boy are those songs worth the wait. I highly recommend this album, and although it came out near the end of 08, I am including it on my best of 2008 list. Tv on the Radio May Get the bulk of the attention this year, but Intimacy is an album that reminds everyone why Bloc Party made a mark on modern music that will never be forgottten.


Talons video


Flux Video

No comments: