pop culture, pittsburgh, and potpouri

Friday, September 12, 2008

Poorly Prepared, Well coached... I Think We Have Found Wasilla High's New Debate Champ!!!


Many will ask "How can that be?" when they read the title of this post, but let me explain. People who like Sarah Palin will say she did great. People who dislike her will say she did not do well. I dislike her and I say she did alright. She did a very good job of keeping the index cards that the McCain camp gave her crammed in her head. She was coached well, answering questions just as good as any high school principal or politician that has run a small town and been governor for a year. To me that is not good enough. On 9/11 when the security of this country is a painful reminder, a Vice Presidential candidate that was obviously coached giving rehearsed answers should make every American watching squirm in their seat. I am sure many Americans didn't, but they are the ones who had no idea what Palin was talking about anyway. 

I am shocked that she said she has foreign policy experience because Alaska is close to Russia. Moscow is 8,500 miles away from Anchorage!!! Nothing happens in far east Russia, it is a barren desert. New York is closer to London by nearly half.  That statement makes me nervous... Gawker seems to think that the interview is as bad as Miss Teen South Carolina's gaff about maps. That is just ridiculous. Statements like those is what loose elections for Democrats. 

Everyone seems to be making a big deal about her not knowing what the Bush Doctrine was, but I think that is very forgivable. Charlie Gibson seemed to be trying to trick her and be tricky. Tricky Charlie. Why not just ask if she believes in preemptive strikes? That's how the media describes it. Who calls it the Bush Doctrine? What I thought was suspect was the answer about nuclear weapons and Iran. It came off as very high school debate, and a bad one at that. Here is the answer word for word: 


"I believe that under the leadership of Ahmadinejad, nucular weapons in the hands of his government are extremely dangerous to everyone on this globe, yes. We have got to make sure these weapons of mass destruction, that nucular weapons are not given to those hands of Ahmadinejad, not that he would use them, but that he would allow terrorists to be able to use them. So we have got to put the pressure on Iran."

Every sixth grader would be able to give the exact same answer. Please, some Palin supporter, explain to me how answer is VP material? I say she was poorly prepared because you can't tell me this is Sarah at her best. If it was, Palin supporters are ONLY supporting her because she is a "Hockey mom" with five kids. There is no other explanation. If a man gave these answers people would not support him, simple as that (I am soo wrong...Bush ? 2000?). 

This campaign is not only sexist, it is feminist. Palin supporters have become soo pro-women that they are giving her the benefit of the doubt just because she has a vagina and kids. I have always liked John McCain, and last night's forum actually made me again question whether to vote for him, but I just can't get past Palin. Call me.... smart? The more McCain talks loosely the more I want to vote for him, but the more Palin talks the less I want to vote for her. The funny thing, is I bet that is the opposite of most McCain -Palin supporters.

No comments: