pop culture, pittsburgh, and potpouri

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Just Because I Have to, "Hear" is Scarlett Johansson's New Song.



This is the new single and video from Scarlett Johansson's Tom Waits cover album. The song is Tom Wait's "Falling Down". I actually appreciate this. Sure her voice really isn't that good, and it sounds like a cheap Sinead O'Connor impersonation, but I would rather an actress try something different than bad pop music along the lines of Lohan, Lopez, and Tinsdale.  Plus David Bowie is featured in this, which is always a plus. This is a trippy track that feels like it was dipped in acid or angel dust. It is going for that Mazzy Star feel with the obvious David Sitek touch. From what I hear, this is the best track on the album. I would be willing to say more good things about the track, but I just can't get past the fact that she really can't sing. Just like the Madonna album this would be better without her, and with some other singer. ( I am not going to give up on driving a stake through Hard Candy, sorry). The video is kind of funny. I like how they show her tattoo being covered with make up. We get it Scarlett, we never see the true you up there on the screen. They should cover that tattoo up anyway. I thought it was a joke for a role the first time I saw it. It looks upside down.

No comments: