pop culture, pittsburgh, and potpouri

Monday, April 14, 2008

This Weeks CD You Should Buy


I have decided to up the music coverage on this blog. So along with random posts related to music, I have decided to add one CD, album, or recording a week that you should buy, illegally download, burn, or obtain in any other way you can think of.  This weeks music selection is....
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

You can read the Pitchfork review here. I have really come to enjoy this band since its 2004 debut Bright Like Neon Love. They kind of fall into that electronic new wave thing that has been going strong over the last couple of years. Many have thought that it would be a flash in the pan, or over stay its welcome, but the music in this vein continues to grow and gets better with age. It helps that the record was produced by DFA's Tim Goldsworthy. Cut Copy kind of reminds me of a cross between Hot Chip and She Wants Revenge, but with a celestial haunting vibe. I am sure there is a more referenced comparison out there written by someone rolling there eyes over my amateur synopsis, so I will let the music critics impress you with there writing ability and musical knowledge. All you need to know is that it is worth your money or time in acquisition. Next week I think MGMT will be my focus. So until then enjoy Cut Copy and the video below for Lights and Music.

No comments: