pop culture, pittsburgh, and potpouri

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Steelers Choose Running Back as First Round Pick in NFL Draft

UPDATE: Steelers pick Texas wide receiver Lamas Sweed as their second pick, fulfilling Roethlisberger's wish for a tall wide reciever. Sweed stands 6' 4'' 220 pounds. 

The Steelers chose Rashard Mendenhall, a running back from Illinois, as their first round pick in the 2008 NFL draft. Many, including the Steelers, were surprised that Mendenhall was still around, so it is not that much of a shock that Pittsburgh quickly picked him up instead of a lineman, corner back, or wide receiver. Mendenhall is 6' 225 lbs, and runs a 4.5 second 4o yard. He was pretty much the reason that Illnois made it to the Rose Bowl. Some are saying that Mendenhall has a tendency to fumble and has to take too many steps to run. Whatever, I'm talking out of my ear here. The dude looks good to me, and should work well as a one-two punch with Willie Parker. I would like to see an offensive lineman or a wide receiver in round two. I'm not to hard to please. I don't know much, but I listen. The only thing I am sure of is that we won't get a quarter back or a tight end.  Steelers have five more picks. I will try to keep everyone informed. Below is some video of Rashard.

No comments: